WELLINGTON ARCH, HYDE PARK CORNER

Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner
Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner

WELLINGTON ARCH, HYDE PARK CORNER

Oil on panel
Signed
25.50 x 35.50cm (10.04 x 13.98 inches)
Stock Code: 2039
£4,500.00

PURCHASE INFORMATION

PURCHASE INFORMATION

Payments can be made by cheque, bank transfer or Paypal. We do not accept credit cards. Please contact me to arrange a purchase. Quotes for shipping, delivery or collection can be obtained on request

Talmage was born in Fifield, Oxfordshire, the son of a clergyman. He studied at the Herkomer School in Bushey, one of his fellow students being Lucy Kemp-Welch. He visited Cornwall in 1888 where he and his fellow Bushey student, Arnesby Brown, became associated with the St Ives School. Settling in Cornwall he helped run the Cornish School of Landscape, Figure and Sea Painting with Julius Olsson and later ran his own school with his wife Gertrude Rowe. His teaching method concentrated on outdoor sketching in lively colours and with Impressionist handling. He participated in the first exhibition of the Newlyn Art Gallery where his Moonrise in January was considered to be one of the finest landscapes in the show. After his divorce from Gertrude he left St Ives in 1907 to live in Chelsea where he worked in close association with Hilda Fearon. He held his first solo show at the Goupil Gallery in 1909. In 1918 he was appointed an official war artist in France for the Canadian Government. In London he was a regular exhibitor at the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists, Royal Institute of Painters in Oils and Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers. He also exhibited at the Paris Salon, winning a silver medal in 1913 and a gold medal in 1922. His work is represented in many public collections.

This painting of elegant figures heading towards Hyde Park can be dated to before 1912, when Adrian Jones’s sculpture of a quadriga was placed on top of Decimus Burton’s arch. Wellington Arch, also known as Constitution Arch and Green Park Arch is located in the middle of Hyde Park Corner. Built between 1826 and 1830 it was planned as part of scheme to commemorate Britain’s victories in the Napoleonic Wars. Originally situated squarely in front of the entrance screen to Hyde Park it was moved to its present position in 1882-83 to make room for the increasing traffic. The original equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington, the largest equestrian figure ever made, was then removed to a new home in Aldershot and replaced by Adrian Jones’s group which is still there today.

OTHER ITEMS FROM THIS CATEGORY

Blackberries
CAROLYN SERGEANT
Blackberries
Sky Study for The City of the Golden Gates
WILLIAM SHACKLETON
Sky Study for The City of the Golden Gates
The Severn Valley from Painswick Beacon
CHARLES MARCH GERE
The Severn Valley from Painswick Beacon
March, April and May
ROBERT JAMES ENRAGHT MOONY
March, April and May
Costume Design
BRITISH SCHOOL
Costume Design
Tamworth Boar
JAMES LYNCH
Tamworth Boar
Fenland Reed Cutters
ROBERT WALKER MACBETH
Fenland Reed Cutters
Fair Rosamond
KATE EADIE
Fair Rosamond
Francis Valerio
BEATRICE GLENAVY
Francis Valerio
Torso
EDGAR ALLAN HOWES
Torso
Portrait of Charles Branwhite
NATHAN COOPER BRANWHITE
Portrait of Charles Branwhite
Cupid Sleeping
RICHARD WESTALL
Cupid Sleeping
Raven Haired
WILLIAM ARTHUR BREAKSPEARE
Raven Haired
Apple
EDWARD JULIUS DETMOLD
Apple
Plum
EDWARD JULIUS DETMOLD
Plum
Sunset Wings
WILLIAM SHACKLETON
Sunset Wings
Lifeguard Escort - The Coronation
FELIKS TOPOLSKI
Lifeguard Escort - The Coronation


To join our mailing list submit your details below
Your name
Your email